Our Design and Technology Curriculum
Skills and Knoweldge Progression Documents
|Vocabulary Progression Documents
Design Technology is a creative and practical subject to encourage children to think creatively, solving problems as individuals and members of a team Through the DT curriculum we provide children with a real life context for learning inspired by engineers, designers, chefs and architects to enable them to create a range of structures, mechanisms, textiles, electrical systems and food products.
Through a variety of practical activities, we teach the knowledge, understanding and skills needed to engage in the process of designing and making that consider function and purpose linked to other areas of our school curriculum.
• use research and design criteria to inform the design of innovative, functional products that are fit for purpose.
• generate, develop, model and communicate their ideas through discussion, annotated sketches and prototypes.
• select from tools and equipment to perform practical tasks (cutting, including slicing, shaping, joining and finishing).
• select from and use materials, ingredients and components, according to their functional properties, aesthetic qualities and, where appropriate, taste.
• investigate and analyse a range of existing products.
• evaluate their products against their own design criteria and consider the views of others to improve their work.
• understand how individuals in design and technology have helped shape the world.
• apply their understanding of how to strengthen, stiffen and reinforce more complex structures.
• understand and use mechanical systems in their products
• understand and use electrical systems in their products.
• apply their understanding of computing to program and control their products
• Understand some of the ways that food can be cooked.
We ensure the children:
• develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world
• build and apply a bank of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make products for a wide range of users and evaluate and test their products
• understand and apply the principles of nutrition when making food products. A good quality finish will be expected in all activities, appropriate to the age and ability of the child.